Mentor Conversation Guide & Expectations

2020-2021 Mentor Conversation Guide & Expectations


Requirements of mentor meetings each month:

1. Meet once a month for at least 15 minutes.

2. Have a live conversation (not texting). You can video chat, call on the phone, or meet in person.

3. Talk about something faith related during part of your conversation.

4. Students must fill out the following report after each meeting:

https://forms.gle/rmBGXEHMsFhkgk627


Conversation Guide

Please feel free to use this conversation guide during your meetings with your mentor/mentee. It is not required to use these questions, or to complete all the questions. 


October 2020

Caring Conversations
1. What job would you never want to have? Why?
2. When do you feel judged?
 
Rituals and Traditions
1. If you created a new way to honor God, what would you do?
2. Something that I love about my church community is...
3. What items do you own that symbolize your faith?
 
Service
1. What might God calling you toward?
2. What is the biggest problem facing our world today?
3. When I meet someone who I think is very different than me I…
4. My gifts and talents can best help others by…
 
Devotions
1. How does a person become close to God?
2. Talk about someone who you think is very religious or very spiritual.
3. The things I admire the most about Jesus are…

Prayer
Ever-living God, continue to reveal yourself in these conversations. Grant that we may continue to love and care for all the earth and all creation. Through Jesus we pray, Amen.

 

 November 2020

Caring Conversations
1. Describe someone you trust.
2. Talk about a difficult decision you had to make.
3. What makes a conversation great?
4. If I were famous, I’d want to be known for...
 
Rituals and Traditions
1. Something that makes my family unique is…
2. What is an important holiday tradition in your family?
 
Service
1. I feel I am giving the most when I…
2. What if you volunteered for a service project and someone wanted to pay you, would you accept it? Why or why not?
3. Are all people created equal? Are some people born more privileged? How does faith relate to your answer?
 
Devotions
1. What is something that Jesus might want to say only to you?
2. Why do you think there are so many beliefs and religions in the world?
3. Some things I believe about God are…
4. If I met Jesus while taking a walk today, we would talk about…
5. Describe a time you prayed a lot.
 

Prayer

Faithful God, help us to grow in our faith toward you and in service and love to others. Bless us as we talk, question, laugh, and cry through all of life’s ups and downs. Through Jesus we pray, Amen.

 

December 2020

Caring Conversations
1. What topics/issues do you not like to talk about? Why?
2. How do you know when someone really hears and understands you?
3. What are ways you see God in other people?
 
Rituals and Traditions
1. Describe an important milestone in your life. How did you mark it or honor it?
2. Worship is most significant to me when...
3. Where do you go to talk to God?
 
Service
1. How can the passions you have be used to create a better life for someone else?
2. Why do you think there are still hungry and homeless people?
 
Devotions
1. I want to ask God…
2. What is something you are presently hoping for?
3. What are you most grateful for today? Least grateful for today?
4. Do the things you spend time doing also reflect what you most value? Why or why not?
5. What gives you joy?
6. What pulls you toward God? What pushes you away?

 Prayer 

Eternal God, we thank you for each other and for our life together. As they have been a blessing for us, may they be a blessing to others; through Jesus our Lord we pray. Amen.

 

January 2021

Caring Conversations

  1. Tell me about you [your family, your hobbies/activities]
  2. What are you most passionate about?
  3. What has been your greatest adventure so far? What adventures do you hope to take in the future?

 Rituals and Traditions

  1. The things I value most about my family are…
  2. Worship is most significant to me when...
  3. What are holy places for you?

 Service

  1. Describe some of your gifts and talents.
  2. In my lifetime, I hope to make a difference for others by…
  3. I care for the earth by...

 Devotions

  1. What place do you find very peaceful?
  2. My favorite verse or story in the Bible is…
  3. I most sense God’s presence when…
  4. What gives you joy?

Prayer

Gracious God, We give you thanks for the new relationship that is forming here tonight.
Continue to work through our community. Through Jesus we pray, Amen.

  

February 2021

Caring Conversations
  1. How do you react when someone compliments you?
  2. What are some of your favorite things to talk about?
  3. What is the biggest choice, change, or challenge you are facing?
  4. The great challenge in being my age is…. The greatest joy is…
Rituals and Traditions
  1. How does your family fight? How do you resolve conflict?
  2. I practice my faith by…
  3. When you think of a favorite place, what are the sights you associate with it?
 
Service
  1. I care for others when I…
  2. How do you make a distinction between your wants and your needs?
  3. Describe how you helped someone through a hard time
 Devotions
  1. What topic do you wish the Church would talk more about? Stop talking about?
  2. What is something you wondered about when you were a child?
  3. How have you seen or sensed God this week?
Prayer

Loving God, we give thanks for the ways you are growing your kingdom here on earth. Help us to be your people in this place. Continue to allow our relationship to grow. Through Jesus we pray, Amen.  


March 2021

Caring Conversations
  1. A good friend is a person who… traits that make me a good friend are…
  2. What qualities make someone a good listener?
  3. In order for you to understand my family, I would have to tell you about...

Rituals and Traditions
  1. Something I do that I learned from a parent or grandparent is…
  2. What is a religious tradition that makes you uncomfortable or that you don’t understand?
  3. Describe a meal you most like to eat with your family.
Service
  1. When you serve, does it matter to you if you hear, “thank you?”
  2. An ability, talent or knowledge I have for making a difference for others is…
  3. The world would be a better place if everyone…
  4. How do you make another person’s life better?
Devotions
  1. For me, practicing my faith means…
  2. A strong belief I have is…
  3. What pulls you toward God? What pushes you away?
Prayer
Holy God, tonight we pray for each other– for the joys and struggles we face. Encourage us, strengthen us, and give us your peace. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.

April 2021

Caring Conversations
  1. If I were famous, I would want to be known for…
  2. A good friend is a person who… traits that make me a good friend are…
  3. What qualities make someone a good listener?
Rituals and Traditions
  1. If you created a new way to honor God, what would you do?
  2. A ritual or traditions that seems boring or meaningless to me is…
  3. What items do you own that symbolize your faith?
Service
  1. The world would be a better place if everyone…
  2. What is the biggest problem facing our world today?
  3. When I meet someone who I think is very different than me I…
  4. What might God calling you toward?
Devotions
  1. For me, practicing my faith means…
  2. A strong belief I have is…
  3. Other than God, who or what else are you devoted to?
  4. Describe what you think evil is.
Prayer
Holy God, tonight we pray for each other– for the joys and struggles we face. Encourage us, strengthen us, and give us your peace. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen. 


May 2021

Caring Conversations
  1. What are ways you see God in other people?
  2. Describe a time when you had to be courageous.
  3. If you could live during a different time in history, when would it be? Why?
Rituals and Traditions
  1. Something that makes my family unique is…
  2. For me, the times I am most aware of God’s presence is…
Service
  1. I feel I am giving the most when I…
  2. What if you volunteered for a service project and someone wanted to pay you, would you accept it? Why or why not?
  3. Are all people created equal? Are some people born more privileged? How does faith relate to your answer?
Devotions
  1. I want to ask God…
  2. What is something you are presently hoping for?
  3. What are you most grateful for today? Least grateful for today?
  4. Do the things you spend time doing also reflect what you most value? Why or why not?
  5. What gives you joy?
  6. What pulls you toward God? What pushes you away?

Prayer
Eternal God, we thank you for each other and for our life together. As they have been a blessing for us, may they be a blessing to others; through Jesus our Lord we pray. Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jerusalem- Holy Week

Lesson: Beginnings

By the Waters of Babylon and Home Again